Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Celebration of the Disciplines

I stand and applaud Foster's great work on the spiritual disciplines.  He made a weighty subject light, a profound idea simple, and a difficult task easy.  Foster did what we all should do when we write: he shared the information in a manner in which the subject was the subject and the point was the point.  He did not tell us a story of his great accomplishments (which much of Christian writing today has become) or flex his own spiritual muscles to impress the crowd.  He shared with me some of the most important truths I have ever learned.


I have wondered for 13 weeks if I could or would actually make it through this process.  I admit there were times when I had to catch up in order to stay on track, but I did.  There were times when I didn't think I had anything worth saying, but I said it.  There were times when I wondered why I was attempting such a project, but I completed it.  And now I am finished, and I am glad I did it.

If you recall, the movie, "Julie & Julia," was the inspiration for Following Foster.  Last week that movie made it to our little town's discount theater.  I thought it ironic that it finished playing in my town at the same time I finished this blog.  I am grateful for that movie and this journey.  I am thankful for the wonderful book and the man who wrote it. 

In the movie, Julie wondered if Julia knew about her blog and then discovered that she hated it.  I must admit that I have wondered if by any strange means that Mr. Foster noticed as I walked in his footsteps.  Perhaps not, but I am forever grateful for his fine work.

Thank you for following me follow Foster down the path to spiritual growth.  God bless on your continued journey.  See you in heaven some day. 

His servant,

Todd

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I can't believe it's over. I've gotten used to catching up on your blog each weekend to see what the previous week has been like for you. I hope that this experiment will lead you to a full time blog (unless you already have one that I am not aware of).

    I love your tone of humility in questioning the status quo. You've encouraged me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete