Thursday, December 10, 2009

Why Don't We Celebrate More Often?

Israel was commanded to celebrate 3 times a year.  I am sure they could have celebrated more, but they were required to celebrate at least 3 times a year.  How often do we, Christians, celebrate?

One of the most common uses of the word "celebrate" in the church is in reference to the Lord's Supper.  Do we really celebrate communion?  When I think about celebrating, I think of wedding receptions, birthday parties, New Years Eve, etc.  We use the term celebrate so often in the church that I think we have robbed the term of its meaning.

I think the sentiment is right.  We should celebrate the Lord's Supper.  In my tradition, we take the Lord's body and blood each week.  Is that too often to celebrate?  Can we really pull that off?

I think I am going to make celebration a New Year's resolution this year.  I want to celebrate more in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment