Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Beginning: A Good Place to Start

Hi, my name is Todd.


I have never gone to a movie and left there feeling like I needed to do something. Well, actually, after seeing Star Wars as a kid, I did go home and try to make a lightsaber, but, as an adult, I have never left with that notion. A good movie to me means holding my wife's hand, a good seat, and an entertaining couple of hours away from everything else in life. I don't usually go with any other goal in mind.


After watching "Julie & Julia" (which was a very good film especially for foodies like my wife and I), I thought, "What a great idea! I want to do that." So, I started thinking about doing a blog and here I am today. Writing my first blog post.


I am going to venture through Richard J. Foster's "Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth" in 13 full weeks, starting today. I will be using my trusty 1988 "expanded and revised" version along with the "Richard J. Foster's Study Guide for Celebration of Discipline." I am still working on the exact formula, but I think I will read a chapter on Tuesday, discuss the content of the week until Friday, practice the discipline over the weekend, reflect on Monday, and start with the next chapter on Tuesday.


I guess I need to let you know why I am going down this rabbit hole.


I am a middle-aged man who suffered from grand delusions as a young man. I thought I would change the world. I thought I would have all the spiritual depth of a saint by now. I thought my zeal and good intentions would propel me on to depths and heights never imagined.


Now, don't get me wrong, I think I have a wonderful life. I love my wife more now than ever before, and our marriage is growing more recently than the sum of the last 17 years. I have a 14 year old son that I adore. I admit there are times when I struggle to show him that, but . . . I do love him. My family life is only getting better.


My real struggle is in my vocational life. I have been in the same career path for 20 years. I spent 4 great years at Kentucky Christian College (University now) and 5 years at a fabulous seminary, Church of God Theological Seminary in Cleveland, TN. I have a double major in Bible and Christian Ministry, a Master of Divinity degree, and 30+ hours following my MDiv in Christian Education and leadership. I have worked with big suburban churches and small rural churches.


With all that said, I still feel like I have so far to go on my spiritual journey. At times, I feel like the kid in school who kept being promoted on to the next grade who can't read. My struggle is not with my job but the core of my job, my spiritual life in Christ. I have not fallen away, but I am not the man I imagined I would be when I started this journey almost 30 years ago.


So . . . I am going to follow Foster down the path to spiritual growth. Hopefully someone will follow along with me.

1 comment:

  1. You've got me laughing out loud and sitting in sobering silence. I love your honesty.

    I'm interested to see what your perspective changes will be on this in just the 6 years since we went through it together at Kenwood.

    Keep being honest. Some may throw stones, but I won't.

    ReplyDelete