Saturday, September 26, 2009

It's Getting Late

Meditation demands a cooperative environment.  Or maybe when you get good at it the environment doesn't matter.  Well, to me, it certainly does matter.

I did "palms down, palms up."  In this exercise you tell God about the things you need to let go of and then say, "Palms down."  You then sit in silence.  Following a period of time, you tell God about the things you are willing to receive.  At the end of this time, you say, "Palms up."  This symbol of reception is followed by another period of silence. 

I was practicing this form of meditation when my son finally rigged my old turntable to his amp.  Meditation is tough with Kansas' "Carry on my Wayward Son" playing in the air.  He then moved onto Motown's Greatest Hits with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough."  During palms down, I had to give that old turntable over to God.

The last two days have reminded how difficult silence is to find today.  Cell phones, turntables, cars, etc. all offer little room for silence.  I can say this.  I think I like silence, but I'm not familiar enough with it to really know.  I think I am going to go look for some tomorrow.  See you then.

1 comment: