Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chapter 5-The Discipline of Study

I love going to school.  I love studying.  I love my nose pressed into a good book or even a bad one.  I live for new ideas and challenging concepts.  I like to master new fields.  I enjoy the process of discovery.

Foster aptly points out his four steps of studying-repetition, concentration, comprehension, and reflection.  I profoundly agree that we too often never reach the stage of reflection.  This life-change component of understanding is so frequently overlooked and so desperately needed.

I am going to attempt to practice the discipline of study this week with a slant toward reflection.  I will study books and events.  I will start tomorrow with a Bible passage that I will be preaching from this weekend.  I hope you will join me as I venture into the Book of Romans.  I will use Romans 1:1-3:20 as the broad text for this sermon.  Hope you join me in those pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment